Vigeo Eiris, Second Party Opinion of the first Green bond issued by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (the “HKSAR”)
This green bond issuance will finance or refinance in full or in part, government projects with environmental benefits. As set out in the HKSAR Green Bond Framework, eligible categories of projects covers eight areas: (i) Renewable energy, (ii) Energy efficiency and conservation, (iii) Pollution prevention and control, (iv) Waste management and resource recovery, (v) Water and wastewater management, (vi) Nature Conservation/biodiversity, (vii) Clean transportation and (viii) Green buildings.
Vigeo Eiris considers that the green bond issued by HKSAR is aligned with the four core components of the Green Bond Principles 2018.
The agency thus expresses reasonable assurance (our highest level of assurance) on the HKSAR’s commitments and on the project’s contribution to sustainable development.
It is likely to contribute to eight United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (“UN SDGs”), namely:
- Goal 3. Good Health and Well-being,
- Goal 6. Clean Water and sanitation,
- Goal 7. Affordable and Clean energy,
- Goal 9. Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure,
- Goal 11. Sustainable Cities and Communities,
- Goal 12. Responsible Consumption and Production,
- Goal 13. Climate Action,
- and Goal 15. Life on Land.
Asia, Green bonds